Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Week 6 - ULBS Part 1

This week I was given the task to allocate marks for the kids' second ULBS. They were to do it as a group, through presentations. Each group were given a different topic (prepared by Kak Dee) and they were given the chance to prepare their presentations the week/a few days before. Each member of the group has to speak as the marks were for  their individual  performances within each group.

My 2B did their preparation the week before (week 5). I was not supposed to be with them for the presentations but due to Kak Dee having to go to a Pandu Puteri Camp in Lenggong, I was entrusted with the marking job. 

Most of the kids from 2B did ok. I had to remind them, 

"Remember, respect the presenters and respect the audience. This is a presentation, not a discussion, so make sure that AT LEAST I can hear you."

But the highlight of this class' session was when one group 'forgot' to bring their mahjong paper to class and wasn't able to complete the presentation. I don't think they forgot, I honestly think they didn't finish it. But, it's pretty understandable as they had some trouble with the preparation the week before. I tried to help, but there's just so much that I could do. 

So, when it was their turn, I realized that they weren't anywhere near me. The two boys would usually sit close to where I sit. But, for some reason, that day they were sitting in the far corner of the room (oh, we did it in the media room so they were sitting on the floor). It was then that they told me, 

S1: "...*mumble*..*mumble*..in the dorm". 
Me: "what?"

S2: "left in the dorm"
Me: "why did you leave it there?"

S1: "forgot"
Me: "ok. go get it"
S1 & S2: (0 . o)
Me: "are you allowed to go back and get your things?"
Other S: "dunno"
Me: "so what am I supposed  to do with you guys now? what should I do with your marks?"
S1 & S2: (-__-)
Me: "S1, tell me what should I do with you now?" "S2, do you think it's fair that you're not doing yours today?"
S1 & S2: ".............."
Me: Get back to your places. I don't want to waste any more time.

So, I continued with the other groups. While the next group was preparing, I went back to the boys and told them, "I want you to speak today. I don' care. You can prepare your presentation in a small paper if you want to. I WANT YOU TO SPEAK TODAY". And they stumbled along, trying to get their presentations done while the others were presenting.

But the kids were awesome sports. I told them to ask the other groups questions about the presentations and they did. And they were pretty good at coming up with the questions too. I could see that they're able to become critical thinkers - high level of thinking, but too bad about the language. No worries, plenty of room and time for improvement (^w^). Unfortunately, the two boys weren't able to do their presentations since we were out of time. I had to continue their tomorrow, along with the last group's.




No comments:

Post a Comment